“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.“―Henry Miller
Travelling means breathing a new culture even though for a few days with new faces and things around. Opening your perspective to new lifestyles and cultures surely mold one’s personality on a better note.
During your journey to new places, locals can definitely help to a great extent in making your trip more fun and interesting while offering you comfort in the land of strangers.
As a solo traveller, it seems to be a hard task to shake hands with locals and taste the flavors of their culture but soon you will realize that being friendswith strangers during your trip can actually be a super fun and thrilling experience. When you travel solo, you pay more focus on everything around you instead of who is with you.
Let’s look at these tips on how to meet locals while travelling and create life-lasting memories to be cherished in future.
- Never make a strict itinerary with schedule of every single hour but let your plans be loose. Once you reached the destination, you will realize that there is a lot more to explore and experience than what is mentioned in the travel guides or various websites. Wander through the unknown streets, markets with no maps in hand and hang out with the locals to feel like one. Take active participation in local festivals and exhibitions,as it is the perfect opportunity to scout out new friends on the go.
- When visiting a foreign country, language can be a barrier in forming new friendships with locals. Fumbling on words while speaking local language is perfectly fine but at least make an effort to learn new words. Don’t seal off the adventure of meeting all kinds of interesting people by staying aloof but strike up conversations with as many people as you can. Be open to new experiences.
- Prick the moony bubble of your comfort and live the way the locals do, as it will surely create a life-changing experience in your travel book. Ask around for the best local dishes and dress as per their traditions to discover the true lifestyle of a place. Be flexible with your plans and have little adventure wherever you go.
- Download apps like Backpackr that helps you connect with like-minded travellers around the world in the most painless way. You can easily search for nearby backpackrs and interact with those who have similar travel plans.
- It can be sheer fun to be a part of a travel group and follow their itinerary wherever you go. Hassle of organizing everything by yourself can be easily erased by travelling in groups.
Travel as much as you can. As far as you can. Life is not meant to live in one place.